The Human Development Report 2019 entitled, ‘Beyond Income, Beyond Averages, Beyond Today: Inequalities in Human Development in the 21st Century’ will be launched on 9 December in Bogota, Colombia with the presence of Iván Duque Márquez, President of Colombia, Achim Steiner, UNDP Administrator, and Pedro Conceição, Director, Human Development Report Office and Lead Author of the Report.
This year’s report shows that a new generation of severe inequalities in human development is emerging, even as the gap is narrowing on many of the unresolved inequalities of the 20th century. These emerging dynamics -- under the shadow of the climate crisis and technological change— demand new approaches in policies at national and global levels.
By looking beyond income, beyond averages, and beyond today, the report presents analysis, ideas and policy options to tackle the key drivers of inequality, recognizing that many inequalities are the symptom of an unfair system rather than the cause, weakening social cohesion and economic growth, and damaging people’s trust in government, institutions and in each other.
As with most entrenched development challenges, there is no easy solution. Reversing inequality requires interventions from early childhood to old age and new thinking - particularly in the face of sweeping technological change and the climate crisis. All are politically challenging. All are possible.
Together with the global launch in Colombia, UNDP offices across the world will also be simultaneously be presenting the Human Development Report 2019.
What: Human Development Report 2019
Where: Global launch in, Bogota, Colombia
When: 9 December 2019, 2 pm EST
• Iván Duque Márquez, President of Colombia
• Achim Steiner, UNDP Administrator
• Laura Chinchilla, President of Costa Rica 2010-2014
• Pedro Conceição, Director, Human Development Report Office and Lead Author, UNDP
• Lucas Chancel, Co-director of the World Inequality Lab, Paris School of Economics
• Rosario Córdoba, President of the Competitivity Private Council of Colombia
• Luis Felipe López-Calva, Assistant Administrator, Assistant Secretary-General, UNDP Regional Director for Latin America and the Caribbean
• Jessica Faeta, Resident Representative, UNDP Colombia
Be part of the conversation:
Information on the full report and relevant materials will also be made available digitally at hdr.undp.org and at the Human Development Report Office social media channels (Twitter / Facebook). Users can follow the latest updates and online campaigns through the hashtags #HDR2019, #BeyondIncome and #LetsTalkInequality.
Follow the Global launch live: Monday, 9 December 2019 in Bogotá, Colombia (2pm New York / 7pm GMT) at hdr.undp.org
Join us on social media: #HDR2019, #BeyondIncome, #LetsTalkInequality