KABUL: Despite considerable achievements in terms of human development during the last five years in Afghanistan, the developments still seem insufficient compared to the myriad problems Afghans were faced with, maintains the Center for Policy and Human Development CPHD in its report for 2007 on Afghanistan released.
The report covers different issues such as poverty, education, health, administrative corruption, rule of law and justice.
Considering three basic parameters such as long and healthy life, knowledge and a decent standard of living the report says it places Afghanistan, in terms of global ranking, 174th out of 178 countries of the world ahead of only four countries.
The report added only 6.6 million out of 27 million populations of the country could earn their needed nutrition.
Corruption, lack of rule of law, lack of educational institutions and health clinics as well as poppy cultivations were the major problems that marred the human development in the post war country, the report added around 62.3% of the population were deprived of the healthy and long life in Afghanistan.
Adult literacy rate in Afghanistan was still one of the lowest among developing countries, the report said, only 23.5% of the Afghans over the age 15 could read and write.
Poppy cultivation and existence of irresponsible armed groups was a great challenge to rule of law in the country, it further adds, administrative corruption has weakened the governance process in the country and could undermine legitimacy of the government unless tackled before late.
Only 20% of the people turn to the government-run courts for resolving their problems, while remaining 80% head for local Jirga and councils.
Leading author and presenter of the report, Dr Ali Wardak told the conference that in the report they had recommended the government to give legitimacy to the decisions of the local councils.
Besides pointing to the increasing bombing and suicide attacks the report has mentioned a number of achievements in the last five years.
Besides Vice President Ahamd Zia Massoud, a number of cabinet ministers and diplomats attended the meeting.
Ahmad Zia Massoud termed the report as great achievement and hoped recommendations made in the report be added in the Afghanistan’s development program.
Afghanistan’s first human development report was released in 2004.
Retourner à la liste <<<<<